Ok, so I joined BumbleBFF just before Christmas, (feel free to check my original thoughts on why I joined). I thought it would be good to do a little update about the things that I’ve discovered since tumbling down the friendship app rabbit hole…uh
1. I get a ‘buzz’ from making connections with potential friends I’m yet to meet. I love reading about people’s interests and likes / dislikes and it’s great to come across someone who ticks more than ‘coffee fanatic’ and ‘lives life to the full’.
2. That being said, I have a couple of peeves too. My first is when someone uploads pictures (so far, so good), but then fails to write about themselves, so you’ll have a pretty good idea of what they look like, where they come from, but no idea about their character… If you have a profile like this, you can guarantee I’ve just swiped left. Sorry.
3. I’ve realised how ‘judgemental’ I can be on someone’s physical appearance. I hate myself for saying it. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not talking race or body type here, as that would make me a chubby, foreign hypocrite… What I am saying is that I find myself looking at someone and thinking “hmmm… I’m not sure we’d ‘work'”. WHAT DOES THAT EVEN MEAN? There’s clearly some weird brain-wiring doo-hickey that maybe subconsciously sends warnings like “they look like the girl who used to bully you at school”; or “I don’t think I’m pretty enough to be in her social group…” Mean Girls, much?
4. Another of my peeves? We match. (Great). I message with a little introduction, a few sentences and maybe a question about how they’re doing, etc. etc. (Awesome. Polite). They respond with” Hey”, or at a push “Hiya. Good thx”. Sweetie, if you’re not interested in talking to me, just don’t reply. But if you are… You’ve got to give me a little to work with! Pretty much, without fail… I delete the conversation (which essentially takes you back to being unmatched).
5. When you know… You know! Once I’m a few exchanges and conversation-deep, it’s great to actually feel a click with someone who you haven’t even met… Yet.
6. I’d say the majority of the time, ‘matches’ don’t always mean you’ve found another amazing girlfriend for your Squad of Awesomeness; but that’s what makes it special when you do… Because you’ll know that the friendship is worth investing in and isn’t ten-a-penny. (Isn’t that right Angela?)
If you haven’t signed up yet, do it! What are you waiting for?? Oh, and if you haven’t written anything under your profile yet… Come on? Share some little nuggets about yourself… (or maybe perhaps you’re looking for fellow telepaths)…